- What is SpecKing?
- SpecKing is a Photoshop panel extension that provides you with additional tools to help you easily make design specs. Measuring sizes and font specifications in Photoshop can be a real time consuming task. SpecKing simplifies this process and lets you instantly measure any sizes, margins, and font properties in any PSD file. Your design specs can be ready in an instant, with just a few clicks. The SpecKing plugin is compatible with Photoshop CS5/CS6/CC/CC2014/CC2015, Mac and Windows.
- Who uses SpecKing?
- Our plugin can be used by designers and developers for webdesign, applications, games and more. Especially useful for people working in teams that have to define design specs for professional web development. SpecKing is guaranteed to speed up your workflow, making the design specs process a breeze…
- What kind of tasks SpecKing can be useful for?
Specification of finished design before sending to development
When the time comes to start coding your design (whether you do it yourself or send it over to the development team), it’s crucial to provide good specs that will make sure your design is implemented just like you made it.
Use SpecKing and deliver specs that will make sure your project is executed with pixel-perfect precision.
Getting specs from PSD files for development
Got a PSD file from your designer and now it’s time to start coding? No font specs or layout measurements?
Instead of messing around in Photoshop and measuring stuff in a tedious manner, all the specs you need can be easily measured with SpecKing with just a few clicks, saving you time and making your workflow faster and better than ever.
For Designers & Developers:
Visual QA – measuring diffrences between original design and final product
Whether you’re a designer, developer, or member of a team or studio – there are always multiple iterations between design and development that focus mainy on checking if the original design was implemented perfectly. This ‘Visual QA’ process can be time consuming, having to take screenshots, measure them, compare to original design and so forth… With SpecKing you can speed up the process tremendously, checking sizes, margins and font specifications easier than ever before.
- How does it work?
- Just select what you wish to measure and click the appropriate button. You can select: a layer, a group, multiple layers and groups or just use the selection tool.
SpecKing allows you to also choose which properties to measure, the position of the labels, and their color.
All specs made by SpecKing are live (text labels, lines and shapes) – meaning you can edit and position them in any way you like.
- What platforms and Photoshop versions are supported?
- You can install and use SpecKing with Adobe Photoshop CS5, CS6, CC, CC2014 - CC2017. Fully supports both Mac OSX and Windows OS.
- How to install
1. Open Photoshop
2. Goto to File > Scripts > Browse...
3. Navigate and select the Installer.jsx file in the "specking CC2015" folder
1. Goto the "specking CC2014" folder
2. Double click the “specKing_CC2014.zxp” file and the Adobe Extension Manager will come up with instructions.
For CS5 / CS6 / CC:
1. Goto the "specking cs5-cs6-cc" folder
2. Double click the “specKing.zxp” file and the Adobe Extension Manager will come up with instructions.
Once the extension is installed, the panel can be opened from “Window” menu > “Extension” submenu > “specKing”
- Problems installing?
On some computers there are problems installing with Extension Manager (Please note that for CC2015+ the installation method is different and does not require Extension Manager). This can be caused by these common problems:
Extension Manager version is not the same as Photoshop version
Sometimes the wrong version of Extension Manager launches automatically. Make sure to manually launch the Extension Manager from the Creative Suite version that matches your copy of Photoshop, and click “Install”. Then navigate to the plugin file.
Extension Manager does not have sufficient permissions
You will have to start Extension Manager with administrator rights. To do so, follow these steps:
On Windows – Right click the Adobe Extension Manager executable > select “Run as administrator”.
On Mac OSX – Start a terminal window > Run the following command (change CS5 to your Photoshop version):
sudo "/Applications/Adobe Extension Manager CS5/Adobe Extension Manager CS5.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Extension Manager CS5"
On rare cases (Mac OS 10.7 + CS5/5.5) you will get an Adobe bug: 'The extension SpecKing does not contain valid signature. The extension will not be installed'
You will need to apply a patch from Adobe found here.
On rare cases (Mac OS + Extension Manager CC) you will get an Adobe bug: 'The extension SpecKing does not contain valid signature. The extension will not be installed'
You will need to uncheck the 'Allow Extension Manager to access Internet' option in the preferences dialog and then install it again.